What is Essure®?
Essure is a surgery-free permanent birth control procedure that works with your body to create a natural barrier to prevent pregnancy. The Essure procedure offers benefits that no other birth control can.
- Surgery-free—A quick procedure performed in your doctor's office
- Hormone-free—A more natural birth control method with no hormonal side effects
- No slowing down to recover—Most women return to normal activities in less than a day
- Proven—Over 600,000 women and their doctors trust Essure as the most effective* permanent birth control method
- Worry-free—Because your doctor will confirm that your tubes are blocked, you don't have to worry about unplanned pregnancy and the hassles of temporary birth control again
Learn more about the benefits of Essure.
The Essure procedure was designed with busy women like you in mind so you won't need to take time away from your busy life. During this quick procedure, a doctor places the soft, flexible Essure inserts into your fallopian tubes through the natural pathways of your vagina and cervix, so no incision is necessary. The inserts are made of the same material that is used and proven safe in heart stents and other medical devices.
Over the next three months, your body works with the inserts to form a natural barrier in your fallopian tubes. This barrier prevents sperm from reaching the egg so that pregnancy cannot occur. During this three-month period, you must continue to use another form of birth control.
To provide you with the confidence that you are protected from unplanned pregnancy, you'll have an Essure Confirmation Test. This test verifies that the inserts are in place and your fallopian tubes are fully blocked.
Essure is covered by major health insurance providers, including Medicaid. Learn more about insurance coverage..
Once you have Essure, you'll never have to worry about unplanned pregnancy or remembering to take your birth control again.
*Based on a comparison of five-year clinical data.
Essure has been FDA-approved and available in the US for over 10 years.